Code of conduct: reviews
- While some things might be hard to put in words, try. It should be a joy to read. not a struggle. Have fun.
- Don’t do it out of spite. Never ever. Review things you’re interested in, things you want to experience. This might mean you do have to say it’s bad but at least it’s honest and you did start with good intentions. Nothing is easier than ripping something apart just for the sake of it. It might be fun to write and occasionally read but in the end those pieces are useless. Dazzle with passion and infect people with the good stuff — those are the things that make life worthwhile. Leave the pettiness and bad things behind.
- Did I mention have fun? Language is not a bowl of cold fish soup.
- Try to invoke feelings and what you felt. Lists of titles and what the songs are about are meaningless. As are trying to write out guitar solos. Seriously, those are boring even on record.
- If someone want you to review something you know you won’t like: say no.
Things that make me uneasy
- People I don’t know well. This is harder than complete strangers (most often anyway).
- Be the one that clicks the add people on social networks. Especially if that function is called “friends”, that is just very awkward.
- The sea.
- People throwing away books. In the trash.
- Songs in which the singer use auto-tune. There is this slight residue that makes me thing about chewing aluminium foil paper.
- Being left alone for too long as opposed to the right amount — which I admit differs each day/week.
- Talking to people without any common ground.
- If I had a Food Channel on tv, I’d really cocoon and I’d never see the light of day again.
- I’m at least a bit decent in the art department.
- Nothing more, because it’s been a slow simmering week and I’m kinda dense.
- Overall my life is a bit sucky, even though at times it’s can be quite decent.
Comfort shows that never fails, ordered by length.
- The West Wing
- Homicide - Life on the Street (yo?)*
- 30 Rock
*) The last seson was pretty bland though so despite the movie it loses some points.
What I’ve done today:
- Got cookies.
- Ate food and watched Top Chef Masters (Of the Universe).
Seriously, it will be odd to watch regular Top Chef. The way they help each other and talk about food? The lack of scheming? Every week should have a Top Chef Master final…
- Going to watch Jim Henson’s Storytellers now.
Because Muppets rule.
Different kinds of rays, ordered from good to bad.
- a con-man fish
- Mountain (which is really a volcano)
- a boat (and thus more evil than the death ray)
My Top 5 Artists (Week Ending 2010-5-30)
- Becky Cloonan for Demo 2.03. Love her sketches at the back of each issue.
- The Quite Sketchy collective, because the ego needs to be stroked too. I think we might need a few more members though. If you’re interested, message either of us.
- Barbara Canepa. There’s too many great French artists that speak only French. I can’t read that!
- Ashley Wood. Still dislike the panels he did for the Invisibles mashups, but damn, I love his style.
- Loish, whom I don’t know at all despite the tumblr.
List of emediate problems due to a presentation — which is now now; out of nine drawings
- I hate two
- Dislike one
- Three are a quite adequate
- Two are rather good
- One is fantastic
10 things I don’t get
- John Meyer, everything about
- Maths, how it work
- Lost, the greatness of
- Bland beer, drinking instead of those that taste great
- Exploration of space, why it sort of devolved after we went to the moon
- The heat, what’s so great about sweating because of
- The ocean, the appeal of
- The Mekons, why not more people listen to
- Dan Brown, who gave a publishing deal to
- People, how to say hi to
On things that make me bored; a list
- X computer is better than Y. Haven’t we evolved longer than this since the mid-fucking-eighties? It’s a tool and no, a right-handed scissor doesn’t fit all. What you make and not how you make it and all that.
- Phones. Probably because I know nothing about them and hardly make a basic version work as I want to.
- Most tv-show procedurals. I need characters, who cares if the plot is insane? I know, I know. I admit, I do love some pretty sketchy movies which has neither. (Ahrm, Hudson Hawk…) I won’t begrudge you if you like these things. You watch, I nap. Just be prepared to me turning up a blank face and try to change the subject to socks.
- Bad books. I’m a literature snob, I’m not ashamed about that. I will scoff if you read something that I think is beneath us — us being we humans as a species, because I’m arrogant like that too. I have been known to just stand up and leave when people bring up certain books.
- Most sports. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Except insane stuff like cricket or curling — you know, those that seems to have been invented by crazy drunken monks.
Vinyl Sunday, a list.
- Buzzcocks — Love Bites
- The Mountain Goats — The Sunset Tree
- Neutral Milk Hotel — In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
- Wu-Tang Clan — Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
- The Clash — London Calling
- Pixies — Debaser
- Okkervil River — The Stage Names
Today I was going to post:
- A drawing of a robot
- text about how my day has been.
- a lyric part from my epic legacy of song-writing.
- describe in great detail this tea
But no. All of these turned out to ba a) boring, b) crap, c) all of the above.
What haven’t you done today?
Places I’d rather be at than here
- At Wirstöms watching Cricket.
- On a couch somewhere else.
- In a car roadtrippin’.
- Out bookhunting.
- Uppsala, first Tuesday of the month.
- Someplace with good live music.
- In a minor place.
The rules of today: checklist.
- Take out the trash even though it’s not Friday. [FAIL]
- Watch old stuff from the tv. [DOING]
- Draw. Draw. Draw. [DOING]
- Not use the brain. That never goes well. [FAIL]
- Not listen to any happy music. [SUCCESS]
- [withheld] [FAIL]
- Have ice cream? [FAIL, so far]
- Think about leaving the house. [DONE, answered no.]
- Make something. [SUCCESS, tea.]
That could have went better. Better, not bitter. Sheesh.
The rules for tomorrow.
- Take out the trash even though it’s not Friday.
- Watch old stuff from the tv.
- Draw. Draw. Draw.
- Not use the brain. That never goes well.
- Not listen to any happy music.
- Have ice cream?
- Think about leaving the house.
- Make something.